Re: default compiler

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: default compiler
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:21:00 +0100 (BST)

> On my system (RH7.3) I've installed gcc 3.1 as gcc3 and configured
> GNUstep to be compiled with it. Now in a new project gcc is still used
> and I can only get away with "make CC=gcc3".
> I would propose that the compiler used for building GNUstep should also
> be employed as the default compiler by the make system. Or is this the
> way it should work already?

Sorry for answering late - I tried this out now, and I think it should
work - if you do

./configure CC=/opt/gcc/bin/gcc

when you configure gnustep-make, then 'CC = /opt/gcc/bin/gcc' gets written
in config.make, so whenever you do a 'make', that specific CC should
automatically be used.

make CC=gcc3 instead changes the CC to be gcc3 for that *particular* run
of make.

In practice, if you always do ./configure CC=gcc3 when you configure
packages, then you can then always and happily type 'make' and CC=gcc3
will be added automatically.