Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?

From: Eric Dahlman
Subject: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:43:24 -0500

Howdy,

I am starting on a new project which needs to have a cross platform GUI and I was wondering how practical that would be using GNUstep and Cocoa. Specifically...

How hard would it be to port a Cocoa application to GNUStep?
How hard is the other direction?

I should support Unix, Macs and Windows is the latter useable? Do I need to install an X server? Would it be possible to have a click and drool kind of windows installation?

If I can keep the core functionality the same I have no qualms about having varying levels of functionality on the different platforms. I intend to do the dog and pony stuff on the Mac so that will have to be tight and I would like to have the Unix version be as close as possible but I understand Windows is kind of behind and I can live with that, if it at least mostly works...

Finally, this project is in most preliminary of planning stages so could you also give me any advice for what types of gotchas we need to look out for if we go down this road. I am at liberty to design into the system whatever I need to make this a painless as possible.

Thanks for all your help!

-Eric