Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows? Possible?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:23:34 +0200

Eric Dahlman (lurk@twincitizen.net) a écrit:
> Howdy,
>
> I am starting on a new project which needs to have a cross platform GUI
> and I was wondering how practical that would be using GNUstep and
> Cocoa.  Specifically...
>
> How hard would it be to port a Cocoa application to GNUStep?
> How hard is the other direction?
>
> I should support Unix, Macs and Windows is the latter useable?  Do I
> need to install an X server?  Would it be possible to have a click and
> drool kind of windows installation?
>
> If I can keep the core functionality the same I have no qualms about
> having varying levels of functionality on the different platforms.  I
> intend to do the dog and pony stuff on the Mac so that will have to be
> tight and I would like to have the Unix version be as close as possible
> but I understand Windows is kind of behind and I can live with that, if
> it at least mostly works...
>
> Finally, this project is in most preliminary of planning stages so
> could you also give me any advice for what types of gotchas we need to
> look out for if we go down this road.  I am at liberty to design into
> the system whatever I need to make this a painless as possible.
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> -Eric

My little experience :
- It's easier from GNUstep to Cocoa than Cocoa to GNUstep.

If you start with Cocoa.
- Be careful with Cocoa.h includes
- do not use CoreFoundation
- do not use C++
- do not Quicktime or other propriatory extention
- you need to conver .nib (IB if you use it) to .gorm
and Gorm is good enough for most of the work
- do not use NSToolBar (I/we need to finish the GNUstep implementation)
- do not use Drawer (it is not implmented in GNUstep, and it is just ugly :)

my 0.2 cents

Fabien