Re: app start problem

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: app start problem
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 06:27:26 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
>   I have the latest gnustep built and installed.
> When trying to run the GWorkspace application, the following
> errors arise (at end of email).  Being new to this GNUstep
> system, I'm not sure what this means.
>
> One thing I noticed is that the backend shared library
> was not installed in the usual place
> (/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Libraries) where the base, and
> gui libs are.  Rather, it was installed as...
>
> /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-gnu/libgnustep-back
>
> No .so extension.

This is because the thing is a 'bundle' (a dynamically loaded object,
which is manually loaded by gnustep-base on request from the programmer).

This for the official answer ... :-)

Still, I personally believe that it should be changed to have a .so
extension.

I think I remember seeing the Debian package maintainers having to
manually patch their installation scripts, because when the scripts where
stripping libraries and executables after installing them, they were
failing to recognize bundle object files as shared object files (because
of the missing .so suffix!).

If bundle object files had a .so suffix, they would be more easily
recognized by automatic installers (and humans) as shared library objects
- which is in the end what they are.

Of course, I've no idea what the suffix should be on Windows ... I suppose
the same as shared libraries ?

Anyone knows any reasons (except backwards compatibility) why bundles
should not have the same suffix as shared libraries ?

Otherwise I'm tempted to change them to have it.