Re: GNUstep filesystem spec

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem spec
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:20:24 +0200

>Thanks Jeff - I quite like your suggestion for the network directory - if
>the network domain is to be mounted from a remote server, I suppose it
>should not already exist as a directory on the local harddisk (else there
>is a conflict), so we should not be creating it as a directory.

Well, you still need the directory as mount point anyway. Also I think the
GNUSTEP_*_ROOT folders should always be present: this
also
prevents problems like people creating a 'GNUstep/local' folder and wondering
why it doesn't work.

>I'm also mildly in favour of removing creation of empty directories in
>Local.
>
>I see an advantage in creating them - that people can install
>gnustep-make, then go into their /usr/GNUstep/ and learn how the
>directories are organized, and where everything is going to be installed
>... even if you have installed no Bundles and no Frameworks, by looking at
>the directory layout you can see where they would be installed if you had.

It's a good idea to disable the creation of empty and unused folders within the
domains. But it could be useful to provide a script or
make
rule to create the basic directory tree, e.g. to help sysadmins to setup local
templates or whatever.

Greetings,
Martin Brecher

--
M.B. IT Consulting [ Computer, Netzwerke, Internet ]
info@mb-itconsulting.com  -  http.//www.mb-itconsulting.com