Re: File packages for .gorm files

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: File packages for .gorm files
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:12:16 +0000

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 06:12  am, Gregory Casamento wrote:

All,

I have implemented this, but I have not committed the changes yet. Since this is a major change, I thought it might bear some discussion. I have made certain that old archives still load under existing applications and are
properly converted when saved.

The advantages of doing this are:

1) Much cleaner since it eliminates the *.classes and *.gorm files being stored seperately. They will now be stored in the directory {filename}.gorm where
filename is the name you specified when saving.

2) Allows Images and Sounds to be copied into the .gorm directory. This makes the image/sound accessible to the application when the are added to the .gorm.
3) Closer to the OPENSTEP/MOSX implementation.
Disadvantages:
1) Anyone using a .gorm file in a CVS project will need to add a new directory and the two files within the .gorm directory. Somewhat minor, but still...

Sounds like a thoroughly good idea. I think using a flat file originally was
just a mistake on my part.