Re: New text system implementation

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: New text system implementation
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:02:57 +0100

Hi Alexander,

I am quite impressed by your scrren shots from the new typesetting environment. This is a lot more than our current system support (and even this is capable of more than most GNUstepers will know).

This surely is the way to go! But your description leaves a few questions open:

Is the new implementation finally also taking over the string drawing code? All the text displayed on the screen should be done by a layout manager. Currently we have just the other way round, the layout manager uses the string drawing code.

Would this new type setting also work as a background process?

You also mention that there are more methods needed for the interaction between text views and the layout manager, but you don't list them. What is missing?

You also did not explain how this requires support from the backend, glyph generation can only be done by the backend with specific knowledge on the fonts. For which backends did you implement this?

I also don't understand the proposed class hierarchie for layout managers. Why should NSLayoutManager be the sub class that is restricted to horizontal layout. I rather would expect this to be the more general super class, whereas there is a GSHorizontalLayoutManager that does the more specific things.

Could you also provide some details about the difference from your typesetter classes to the Apple ones?

I am looking forward to the time, where I can use this code myself!

Keep this good work up
Fred