Re: gstep-make on MacOSX ?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gstep-make on MacOSX ?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:54:52 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi,
>
> does anyone use gstep-make for building frameworks, apps, tools on
> MacOSX for a nx library combo (that is, "native" ObjC, Foundation, AppKit) ?
> Should that work and produce framework viable for use in OSX ? Or is,
> for examplek framework support "hardcoded" to the hack using symbolic
> links ?

We could probably extend it to do it.

It would be pretty nice if gnustep-make was able to run on native MacOSX
with a nx library combo, building native MacOSX frameworks/apps/tools ...

Then you could build GNUstep projects on OSX with the same GNUmakefiles
you use on GNUstep ... it would be a big help for portability.

(It would also open the road to using ProjectCenter as a native MacOSX
application to build applications which you can compile on both MacOSX and
GNUstep without any change in makefiles ... pretty cool).

We need to break the portability wall and make applications portable.

We need to provide tools allowing you to write makefiles which run on all
GNUstep platforms (as they already do), and also on native MacOSX.

> Probably at least the various GNUstep roots are different and must be
> adjusted to the OSX locations.
>
> Or as a different option, does anyone generate OSX Jam or PBX files out
> of GNUmakefiles ?

I would be interested in knowing what people are doing to address
portability too :-)