Re: "multiple inheritence" / behavior

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: "multiple inheritence" / behavior
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:10:22 +0000 (GMT)

> > In my eyes it's not a good thing to add that officially to the base
> > library. We wouldn't be compatibel to the original. There's no
> > behaviour in OpenStep, nor in the Foundations of Mac OS X.
>
> For practical reasons, this isn't possible (-base uses behaviors
> internally). I agree that it should probably be kept out of the standard
> headers, though. And since it is runtime dependent and not directly
> connected to GNUstep, libobjc seems like the best place to put it (if
> whoever is responsible for libobjc will accept it).

Interesting ...

well generally, I agree with you - I would be interested into pushing some
stuff from gnustep-base into libobjc (particularly, invocation low-level
details, stack frame stuff etc) [if only I had time to do everything I
wanted to]

I'm not sure about putting behaviours in there though.  We could probably
have them added to the GNU ObjC runtime library, but it wouldn't help with
Apple portability (actually, it might make Apple compatibility more
difficult), unless we are able to put them into Apple's runtime as well,
but that might well be outside our power.  :-)

So generally, yes I agree a nice place for behaviours would probably be
directly in the GNU ObjC runtime ... but in practice it doesn't look it
would help much, so I'd rather avoid doing it :-)