Re: the art backend and font

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: the art backend and font
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:11:08 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:56:28AM -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:
> My beef about gnustep was the way it handle fonts and text. The xlib backend
> cannot use all the fonts that I have, and try to use some fonts that I
> actually don't have, and no AA. etc. Now we have this promising art backend,
> but then I am required to hack up an nfont package for each of my fonts, and
> put them under the GNUstep directory? Why can't we just behave like everybody
> else (KDE2, GNOME2), and use whatever provided by X? Being 100% OPENSTEP
> compatible is pointless, I'd rather have something usable sooner.
> Sorry for flaming.
> Derek

<my opinion>

Well, because nfonts are a much much better way of handling fonts ?
It's far more easier for the user to deal with nfont packages, which includes
all the font styles in one place, than dealing with multiple TTF files for
the *same* font.

Of course, it could be a problem if nfonts aren't numerous. But
that's not exactly the case : check
ftp://ftp.peak.org/next-ftp/next/fonts/index.html
for example. And you could quite easily make a nfont package with TTFs.

I agree that it's a problem when you want to cohabit with already existing TTF
fonts... but honnestly, the hard disk space isn't exactly expensive, and the
advantage
for the user is worth that.

</my opinion>

--