Re: protocols being implemented in the superclass

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: protocols being implemented in the superclass
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:53:30 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Helge, been ill for a few days.

> > this warning sometime is desirable, sometime is not.
> >
> > You can use the GCC option '-Wno-protocol' to turn it off.
>
> I have the same problem like Stefan. -Wno-protocol turns off *all*
> protocol warnings

No - it doesn't.  It turns off precisely the warning that Stefan and you
don't want, and it keeps all the other ones.  At least, that's what it is
supposed to do.

Maybe you were confused by the old, generic documentation in the GCC
manual.  Please check the latest one (the one which will soon become GCC
3.3).

If instead it's because you noticed a different behaviour please produce a
short testcase, and submit it to the GCC GNATS database (link from
http://gcc.gnu.org).  We'll fix the bug (assuming there is actually one).

> which is not what we (at least I ;-) want. The
> compiler should only warn if the set of all superclasses do not
> implement the required methods.

> Need to check the ObjC reference whether it says something about this.

Yes - good idea - check that official documentation of GCC from CVS
(you can easily read it online in html format from http://gcc.gnu.org).

The new version (to be shipped with the new compiler, which, I think, is
3.3) contains a detailed documentation on the ObjC flags - including a
long explanation of the -Wno-protocol flag, replacing the old, confusing
explanation.

Incidentally, I'm the author of such documentation, which is why I know so
well what this flag does.