Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:22:00 +0000 (GMT)

> > Looks like the problem is that you have got two menus with type="apple" in
> > your file.
>
> Ah, thats due to me misunderstanding what that was for - I thought it
> was necessary for all menus on the Apple systems.

Ok - thanks for letting me know! - I have updated the documentation.  I
hope it's clearer now.

> > But I suppose I should explain better, somewhere in the documentation,
> > that you need to have a single type="apple" menu -- this detail is quite
> > obscure at the moment. :-)
>
> Indeed! I know its a bit late, but could you change the name from 'apple'
> possibly ?

The reason it is called apple is that there is a -setAppleMenu: method in
the Cocoa API.  Apparently (by trial and error) I found out that you need
to call setAppleMenu: on the first submenu to have it to work.  If that
method (name) is obscure, it's Apple's fault :-)

In Renaissance, for a <menu>, type="main" calls -setMainMenu:,
type="services" calls -setServicesMenu:, type="windows" calls
-setWindowsMenu:, and as a logical consequence, type="apple" calls
-setAppleMenu:.

> Having played with it for a couple of hours now I've only scratched the
> surface, but it looks excellent. Just what I've been looking for ever
> since I first started working with NextStep in fact (a way of dumping
> those horrible InterfaceBuilder and ProjectBuilder apps). Basically I've
> decided to move everything over to using Renaissance now.

Great :-)

I need feedback, so if you have comments or suggestions, please keep me
informed!

> Anyway, I think I shold be spending less time playing with GNustep and more
> time getting read to go out given the date :-) Happy new year...!

Happy new year!