Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??

From: Mayuresh Kathe
Subject: Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:45:59 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Pete French wrote:

> > At the moment am on 4.3 :(
> > A friend just mailed me 5.0 DP2, advised me to move on to that or better
> > would be Darwin, but support on Darwin for x86
>
> Err, I wouldnt go to 5.0 just yet unless you want to spend a lot of time
> helping fix bugs. Iid wat for the release if I were you. Unless you
> actually have a multiprocessor system it isnt going to buy you a lot.

No probs, just want to know and feel what it means to be on bleeding edge
as far as FreeBSD goes...
Secondly, I want to play around with my Solid-State-Disk which has got
support only with the 5.0 series (AFAIK)...

> > Do you anticipate any problems?
>
> With 5.0 ? Lots of them - why are you thinking of changing ?

See above, a couple of guys advised me to go ahead with 5.0 as far as
regular desktop use goes...

> > So which FreeBSD supports GNUStep absolutely well?
>
> I use FreeBSD 4.7 (STABLE) and that works great. I've used GNUstep on
> many of the 4.X series and it always works fine.

Many of the 4.x??
I guess there have been only two (4.3 and 4.7) isn't it??

> > BTW, check the notes in the FreeBSD 4.x section, there are ways to use
> > gcc4.x
>
> I've tried gcc30, 31, 32 and 33 - all have certain problems with them.
> In the end ther best (most stable) way to go is to do this:

I correct, I meant gcc3.x :)

> 1) get GNUstep from  CVS

Got it downloaded seperately from a high speed connection...
Can I copy the files (some are tar.bz2 and some are tar.gz)

> 2) Install gnustep-make
> 3) Install /usr/ports/lang/gnustep-objc
> 4) Re-install gnustep-make - now it will use the new libobjc
> 5) Install the rest of GNUstep

That should be fun ;)

> You will need to configure the GUI specifying the tiff library directly
> bu the way...

How do I do that?

> This gives a pretty stable GNUstep system. I;veonly had big problems when
> trying to move to compiling with the GCC3 compilers...

Please check out the docs on the GNUStep website, I saw some notes about
how to get it compiled with GCC3.x on FreeBSD 4.x

Warm Regards,

~Mayuresh