Re: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:18:19 +0100

On 2003-01-05 23:11:15 +0100 Tim Harrison <tim@linuxstep.org> wrote:

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Well, as far as I have read the LSPM documentation and seen some LSPM examples,
it is not so similar, just the idea of package management and dependencies. I
was speaking about something more than that. I was thinking not just about a
package repositories and their mirrors, but model similar to those file sharing
networks like gnutella, with added some kind of 'trust' for the reasons I have
mentioned in my mail.

LSPM does network installation, via a remote package list.  The sites are specified from
the main LinuxSTEP download site.  There are no "trust" relationships at this
point, as the download sites would basically be mirror sites.

What do you think about that 'gnutella'-like distributed package network?

Moreover I haven't seen something like ability to install LSPM packages by
ordinary users into their home domain.

Regular users can install into the Users domain all they wish, as well.  You
can override the domain specified in the package.

I see. So package instaled into users home directory will be registered into
users package database as well? (I mean, not into central database). Similar
for Local or Developer packages. If yes, there should be more package
maintainers on one system and it has an advantage on larger servers. For
example Developer domain maintainer will not have to contact root for
installing developer tools.

Also I was mentioning something more than just plain package management, like
making it transparent to the user sometimes (when installing some apps or
required not-installed services).
See http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Package%20Management.

LSPM is designed to be transparent to the user, or manipulated via utilities.   The code
core is simply the methods for manipulating the packages, with an lspm binary to use.
You could call any LSPM method from whatever GNUstep app you're using (for example, LSPM
functionality will be inherent in the LinuxSTEP workspace, so you'd never have to
"see" the package management taking place).

What about having PackageManager server (object)?

Moreover as I was speaking about automated application instalation on service
demand, this openas another kind of dependencies. Not simple package
dependencies, but some kind of abstract dependencies (debian has kind of
those). Like 'package with Mail object' or 'package with this specific service'.

    From the documentation it seems to me that LSPM is just basic traditional
package management, or I have missed something. (This does not mean, that I
think of LSPM as bad)

I think you missed some things. :)  Right now, I don't think there's a posted
version of the documentation explaining the network installation.  We should
probably change that.  There's much more to LSPM than just adding, removing,
and querying packages.  I think Eric's done a tremendous job of designing it.

If LSPM is ready enough for testing or simple tasks, I thing it should be
released and anounced to make it visible.

If you're very interested, and want to get a good idea of what it can do, check the
source.  I know, I know, I hate the "read the source" answer, in response to a
call for documentation.  We'll see if we can fix that, and post more accurate info on
LSPM on the developer.linuxstep.org website.  I'll probably add a link in the wiki as
well.

If there is a simle (easy to use) package manager, I think it should be
integrated somehow into the gnustep and supported with some 'bootstrap' script
to make gnustep installation easier. Many people who are curious about gnustep
are giving it up right at the installation, because it is too complicated  for
not very experienced user.

Stefan
--
http://urbanek.host.sk

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
win.
- Mahatma Gandhi