Re: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 01:39:16 -0500

On Monday, Jan 6, 2003, at 16:25 Canada/Eastern, Vaisburd, Haim wrote:

I'd be second to ask that :-) I'm very interested in your work.

Cool. :)

Can you elaborate a little bit on that?
I myself believe that packages (e.g. GNUstep, kde) should be installed into
/opt,
X11R6 does not belong to /usr (it probably belongs to root for the most
systems, but then some other stuff like perl should be moved to root),
and tired to see the mess in /etc.

But it looks like you see more fundamental problems.

To save a large discussion about the merits of the LSFH on the GNUstep list, I'd suggest you read through the LSFH document, read the article posted at the developer.linuxstep.org site, and take a look at the archives for the LinuxSTEP-General mailing list.

If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me an email, or join in the discussion on the mailing lists.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org
http://www.linuxstep.org/