Re: KHTML in GNUStep?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: KHTML in GNUStep?
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:34:29 -0800

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:12:30 +0100
Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote:
> I can't follow you. Why should one *merge* SAX and DOM ?

"Merge" probably was the wrong choice. SAX implements a different
functionality, compared to DOM - what I meant was that the upcoming DOM3
spec will add some of that functionality from SAX.

> SAX is a parser interface and DOM is an in-memory tree structure ?

Yes and No. Basically, SAX is an API for XML parsers, like DOM, but DOM
also includes HTML, StyleSheets, ECMA, ...

> In skyrix-xml SAX is used to build a DOM structure from a wide
> selection of backend parsers.
> SAX is an IMHO useful parser abstraction, comparable to an EOAdaptor.
[...]

Yes it is, if you (a) only want to "stick" to XML and (b) are content to
see an XML document as a "stream" - as compared to DOM, where a document
is seen as a "tree" (which I personally prefer).

You probably know, but others may not:

        http://www.w3.org/DOM/faq#SAXandDOM

is a comparison of SAX vs. DOM.

--