Re: ANN: Terminal 0.9.4

From: lukekendall
Subject: Re: ANN: Terminal 0.9.4
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:10:59 +1100 (EST)

On 18 Jan, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
>  Stefan Urbanek wrote:
>
>  (Moving this to terminal-discuss.)
>
>  [snip]
> >
> > Is the color palette configurable somehow (a Terminal.clr
> > color list or something)?
>
>  No. I suppose I could implement this and the escape sequences for
>  changing the palette (and maybe a preferences tab for it).

That'd be very nice.  Certainly Nextstep was designed so that users
had GUI configuration tools, rather than having to learn an editor, how
to use man pages, read up on .bashrc, X11 colour naming, etc.

Where do GNUstep applications store their user configuration
information?  Is their a defaults database?  Or do they store them in
older style .thingrc files?

Either way, if Terminal stored the user preferences that applied to
default Terminal windows, and Terminal allowed the saving of the
current preference to update the default, as well as simply applying a
preference (colour scheme) without altering the default, that would seem
to be enough.

The live preferences for a Terminal instance could either be set via the
Preference tab, or via escape sequences, and everything would still work
harmoniously.

> > Moreover, I think that some preferences should be placed in
> > an 'Inspector panel' for terminal window. (common for all GS
> > apps) Preferences panel should be for global preferences and
> > new windows and the inspector panel for active window.
>
>  Making the settings per window doesn't seem to do much good without some
>  way of remembering the settings so you can use them again later. Would a
>  simple load/save of window settings be enough? (ie. save saves the
>  current window's settings to a file, and load creates a new window with
>  saved settings from a file)

That would be best of all, as long as there was also a user
configurable default stored, for use when no specific setting was
chosen.

Personally I tend to stick with one colour scheme for all my terminal
windows - but you're right, many people also like to have specific
settings that they use, for windows for different purposes.

Cheers,

luke