Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:27:33 -0500

Nicolas Roard wrote:

> On 2003-01-20 13:40:44 +0100 Andreas Heppel <aheppel@web.de> wrote:

[snip]

> > one can activate a context help mode where the context help panel is
> > opened automagically when the user clicks on the object, e.g. a UI
> > element. My question is where activateContextHelpMode would be called,
> > i.e. do I provide a menu entry such as 'Context Help F1' or maybe
> > something else. I wonder whether there is a 'standardised' *Step way
> > of achieving this.
>
> Hmm I don't know :-/ Is someone knows how this is handle on mac os x or
> openstep ?

At least on OPENSTEP, there is a "Help" key. If you click on something
that has context-sensitive help while holding this key (F1 by default on
White hardware -- on Black hardware, there's actually a key that is
labeled "Help"), you get an [app name] Help Panel that tells you about
what you clicked. This is something provided by AppKit, not an external
application (different apps can have different help panels running
simultaneously).

While the Help button is held down, the pointer changes to a question
mark.

If an app doesn't provide help, you get an informational alert dialog
saying "Help isn't available for [appname]." when you make a "help click"
or do Cmd+? (or, of course, select "Help..." from the menu).