Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE : HelpViewer 0.1
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:42:16 +0100

On 2003-01-21 11:14:48 +0100 Andreas Heppel <aheppel@web.de> wrote:

The problem in using HelpViewer for this kind of thing is that you would have
to do it yourself completely, since there is no GNUstep support. If you replace
 NSResponder's method - (void) helpRequested: (NSEvent*)theEvent you could call
HelpViewer from here (maybe using DO).You could do this using  a new category
for NSResponder that replaces the original implementation of this method.
If HelpViewer now provided a DO method to display some text bound to a tag you
are there. The only thing needed is a meaningful identifier for the UI
elements. If in doubt one can set up a map for this (or misuse NSHelpManager's
contextHelpForObject ;-) .

Well in fact I didn't understood the context help working that way. I thought
that we could pop up helpviewer (loading a specified
help file), indicate a label id, and helpviewer just go to the label (going to
the right
page and scrolling the text if needed).
But this context help is more a sort of "extended" tooltips imho; and I think
it shouldn't
be the job of helpviewer then, but gnustep. On a side note it doesn't seems that
context help is heavily used.

--
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com>
http://info.xdev.org/projets/waiho