Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:20:47 -0800 (PST)

See below...

--- Alan West <alan@alanz.com> wrote:
> Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>
> >Consider an app designed by Mac people that has been ported to Windows,
> >and a Windows app that has been ported to Mac OS. Windows ports do not
> >please Mac users, or vice versa. This is because a good port of an
> >application doesn't just transport the code of a program, it translates
> >the *philosophy* of the program to fit in with the native system. It's
> >almost a rewrite.
> >
> >If you built, say, Alex's Terminal app on an OS X box, you're not now
> >running an OS X application -- you're running a GNUstep application on OS
> >X. In the same way, if you were able to get and build Safari on a GNUstep
> >system running under Linux, it's still a Mac app that happens to be
> >running on an OS other than Apple's. So its metaphors will be different,
> >the location of the "widgets" won't be what we would expect them to be,
> >and so on.
> >

> I switched from using KDE to GNUstep built from cvs. With everything
> setup I'm now in a position to start helping out.  I'd have liked to
> help implement the NSToolbar and NSStatusbar - but I guess its not worth
> it... Is it simply that the GNUstep project's aim is to copy the older
> Nextstep

GNUstep is an implementation of OpenStep, not NEXTSTEP.  There is a difference.

> without any improvements made in similar directions to the
> latest MacOS X version of Nextstep?......

GNUstep absolutely does incorporate improvements from MOSX.  For example,
you'll notice that classes such as NSOutlineView, NSOpenGLView and others are
present in GNUstep, but are not present on older OpenStep boxes.   The aim is
to create a framework which can be used to port both MOSX applications and
older OPENSTEP applications to GNUstep on any number of platforms.  :)

GNUstep also has a number of improvements which MOSX lacks, such as certain
GNUstep specific classes which arent' in MOSX.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento