Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:25:39 -0700

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
I prefer menu-bar to nextish menu (this preference comes from my Atari ST days). It takes less space. As far as i remember, there were some attemts(patches) to create a menu bar in gnustep-gui.

What do you think about a menubar like this:
   http://amiga.emugaming.com/concept/mockup.jpg
Status bar can be same, but from another side, or from the bottom right corner...

How difficult it should be to change gui that way, that we can have 'NSMenu' bundles with custom menu interface, so developers can create and user can chose what they like? Can something like that be achieved by using NSInterface functions? (loading of interface bundles)

If you're just talking about a horizontal menu like the one you reference, it's not that big a change. Someone sent in a patch awhile ago to change NSMenu to allow this, but I never got all the bugs out (nor a copyright assignment) - although there are issues of where to put top-level menu items (like Hide and Quit).

I think something like a 'Menu Bar' requires support from the window manager to really work correctly.