Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:00:34 +0100

On 2003-01-23 01:38:41 +0100 Alan West <alan@alanz.com> wrote:

Pete French wrote:

(nor a copyright assignment) - although there are issues of where to put
top-level menu items (like Hide and Quit).

Sticking them along the top works fine - note that this what booth NeXTs and
Apples implemetations of menus do on Windows. It exapsrates me that this
just blatently doesnt work under OSx (or else I would have to write two
Renaissance files for my apps)

After all an XML description of the user interface should be platform
independant.

.gorm is not platform independen? If not, why? If it is because of lack of
.gorm file reader, then i do not see it as a problem of .gorm file.

Anyway, differences in interface *philosophy* cannot be solved by using any
kind of common single UI description. It does not matter if it is 'platform
independent' or not. And i think that the phrase 'platform independet' is
really inappropriate in connection with 'user interface'.

Excuse me if it souded like flaming, I did not meant it that way.

Stefan