Re: UI Object Archive (Was: Re: Menu)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: UI Object Archive (Was: Re: Menu)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:20:40 +0100

On 2003-01-23 12:48:29 +0100 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

Object resizing/fitting is not a problem of object archive, we are
speaking about two different things.

Yes it is - because the NIB files encode the actual position of the elements
relative to each other in pixels. As that is what the archive contains theres
not a lot youy can do about it.

I have nothing against renaissance, but excuse me... the 'advantage'
of writing UI without graphical app seems to me like being deaf and

All you need to write an interface is a way of viewing it
visually - you dont require a way to write it visually. I agree its
hard to write music if you are deaf, but thast the visualisation sense, not
the writing sense. Its perfectly possible to writemusic my writing
it onto sheet music and then playing it. Somewhat better than
sitting down at a keyboard and plonking random notes until you get
something which sounds nice - which is what editing a user interface
graphically is analogous too :-)

Yes, it is possible to write and then play ... Have you ever tried that? :) As piano
player I can tell you that 'sitting down at a keyboard and plonking "random"
notes' is far much better way of compising music. You get immetiate interpretation of
your thoughts and you can instantly improve them. Think of it as an analogy to visual
editing :)

Nevertheles, many known popular musicians do not know how to read/write music
notes on a sheet. (Beatles are an example) Take this as another analogy to
'object archive language'. Many of them started just with playing 'random
notes'.

composing music, or it is like painting and being blind.  (Beethoven

Again, the use of vision in painting is to look at the product - you
dont actually paint the picture with your eyes, you use a brush! 'vi' is my
brush and the viewer acts as the way of seeing what I am doing.

See my previous comments.

Stefan