Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:43:14 +0100

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
I always thought that if you do not touch system specific stuff you can use
the same RPM at least on RH, SuSE and Mandrake?

Yes, you can, we do this all the time for SKYRiX RPM packages. But: you usually need to build the packages on the oldest system available [we do on SuSE Linux 6.2] ;-) The more recent the build system, the higher the probability that the result is not compatible (at least our experience).

BTW: I've build several GNUstep RPM packages, available here:

  http://developer.skyrix.com/03_gnustep/

At least on SuSE 8.1 I get a working GNUstep system using these packages in about 5 minutes :-)

regards,
  Helge
Helge Hess                         Email:    helge.hess@skyrix.com
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com
Visit us at ThinkAboutIT 2003-02-06  http://www.thinkabout-it.org/