Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:07:46 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
> Using RPMs or packages or whatever for the GNUstep core stuff seems to
> be the best way of installing GNUstep itself. This requires some effort
> as many different platforms have to be supported, but it can be done.
> The last real issue is IMHO - as discussed in a separate thread - the
> GNUstep.sh file. This is really a problem as for "users" it is not easy
> or maybe even not possible to modify say /etc/profile, hence we have to
> find a good solution here, the sooner the better!

You could probably safely assume that the user can write to /etc if she
can install rpm packages. You could simply put GNUstep.sh in
/etc/profile.d and it will be sourced when a user logs in. I'm not sure
if this also works on SuSE but it should work on at least RedHat/Mandrake.
Also most of the incompatibilites between different rpm based
distributions come from things like SysV init scripts, man pages, info
files, directory layout and Gnome/KDE integration most of which may not
apply to GNUstep.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan