Re: Commit some Additions to a Gnustep file

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Commit some Additions to a Gnustep file
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 06:59:15 +0000

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:02  pm, Philip Mötteli wrote:

Hi

I have made some additions to <extensions/extensions/objc-runtime.[hm]>, that I think would be good to integrate into it, instead everybody having its own version of such a file. How can I do that? Do I have to send the proposed changements to a specific mailinglist?

The copyright on the extensions library is not owned by the Free Software Foundation.
This has a few consequences ...

1. You can make large changes to it without having to bother with the formalities of assigning copyright to the FSF (for official parts of GNUstep, the FSF has to have a copyright assignment for any large changes). 2. It isn't an official part of GNUstep, and won't be distributed as part of the package, so any changes you make won't be used by most of the GNUstep community.

If you want to provide objc runtime related code to be used by lots of people, you probably need to get it into GSObjCRuntime.[hm] and/or objc-gnu2next.h in the GNUstep base package. As long as it's small (the guideline is up to 14 lines of new code) and doesn't break existing code, conforms to coding standards, looks useful etc, we can add an update without any more formality. If it's larger, you need to assign the copyright to the FSF first.