Re: Wierd Warning

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Wierd Warning
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:24:42 -0800

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:20:48 -0800 (PST)
"Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Uh... you seem to miss the point here.  The whole explanation for

No I don't :-)

> returning a CONSTant pointer is that the caller should NEVER change
> the data it points to.  Casting to a non-CONST pointer allows
> assignment to the mutable-type pointer, but it still results in
> potentially changing the data that the CONSTant pointer pointed to,
> which you should not be doing.  Instead, you should make a COPY of
> that data, and work with the COPY.

Yes, I know the difference between 'const char *' and 'char *' ;-)

> The warning you recieved should have pointed to the earlier line,
> where you made the cast; that is much more likely to be a problem.

The type cast actually is about 6 lines before the call to initPattern()
while the lines in between are completely unrelated to both.

Besides that, WHY then did it compile cleanly and not complain while
initPattern() was a static function "inside" the Foobar.m class file?

It just doesn't make sense to suddenly dump a warning, just because the
function now is "external".

--
Chris