Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:49:53 +0100

Serg Stoyan wrote:
[snip]
> So, finally, we have to decide: Do we need horizontal menus in GNUstep
> library or not? There is 2 ways:
>
> 1. We decide to leave horizontal menus -- I'll finish implementation.
> 2. We decide to remove -- I'll remove horizontal menus code.

IMO, the code for horizontal menus should be removed. -gui should only
provide one menu style, and following the NeXT gui, it should be
vertical menus.

There needs to be _one_ standard menu style that application developers
can design for; what is a good choice of and layout of menu items in a
vertical menu is very awkward in a horizontal menu. Having more than one
in -gui will, at best, result in one being the de facto standard and all
the others not really being supported, though it's more likely that
we'll just end up with a big mess.

If some want to use a theme bundle that provides horizontal menus,
that's ok, but this is not a standard or supported case, and it's not
what apps are designed for, so they will lose consistency.

- Alexander Malmberg