Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:43:52 +0200

On 27.03.2003 11:22:10 "Philippe C.D. Robert" wrote:
>On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 02:10  Uhr, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> At 10:26 AM -0500 3/24/03, Jim Balhoff wrote:
>>> Which is why the NeXT-style vertical menu is so nice - the whole menu
>>> is available where your mouse is right now, with a right-click. A
>>> novice user can still see the options available in the menu floating
>>> in the upper left corner, if they need.
>>
>> Tog demonstrated in the mid-late 1980s that this type of system is
>> actually slower than a menu bar bound to a screen edge.

[ship]

>> (This is why in-window menu bars like that in Microsoft Windows are
>> terrible from a usability standpoint; they mimic the form of the
>> infinitely-tall Macintosh menu bar but you actually have to use fine
>> motor skills to both acquire and manipulate the control.  Doh!)
>
>I'd say that since most Windows users tend to use their apps maximised
>to fullscreen, there is no radical difference to the Mac menu bar - the
>difference here though is that on Windows context sensitive menus are
>much more common and much more used.

Despite it looks nearly identical there is a HUGE difference: Those
fullscreen Windows menus are still NOT AT THE EDGE of the screen. On the
Mac I move the mouse with a short quick twitch of my wrist against that
top edge and hit the menus while on Windows I have to move the mouse
slowly so that I don't miss the menu.

I speak here out of real life experience since I have to use Win 2k while
on work but got a Mac at home.

And yes, I DO like context menus.

>-Phil

greetings, Lars