Re: Instant Messenger Application ?

From: Michael Hanni
Subject: Re: Instant Messenger Application ?
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:27:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi Yen-Ju,

--- Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>   To me, it would be great that Fire can run both on Cocoa and GNUstep,
>   but it may take a lot of work.
>   I'm not familiar with cross-platform and network programming.
>   Still evaluate the possibility.
>   The best way to do that besides writting from scratch
>   is to fork Fire, make it work, and merge again.
>   I feel the user interface is easy part.
>   The network part is hard.

Ok, I checked the code out of their CVS and it does indeed make use of Carbon
all over the shop. However, with that said, a lot of the CF sockets stuff is
#ifdef'ed, so it would seem we could hijack some of those defines for our own
purposes.

(Check in CommunicationsController.m for #if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED >
MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_1)

Anyhow, a massive job.

Cheerio,

Michael