Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:36:56 +0200

Hi,

On 2003-04-06 17:05:11 +0200 Philippe C.D.Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net>
wrote:

Hi,

this thread is quite old, but ...

...I updated (with very little effort) the current entry page to make it a
little 'lighter' and more 'elegant' (the content is the same). It should appear
as http://www.gnustep.org/newindex.html or just do a cvs update and have a look
at newindex.html - and let me know what you think!

I think, that your lighter version is better than the old one. I agree, that it
is more elegant.
Here are few immediate general comments and suggestions:

1. Main page contents
- 'Text Version' link is distracting at the top
- I would suggest simple large title with some elegant font: 'GNUstep' and
perhaps some plain gnustep logo (not that 3d rotated) even if it would be only
black and white one.
- instead of that screenshot, there should be a ling to a page named 'Show
case' or something like that
- we are talking about front page - the entrance to gnustep or shop-window
where we want to attract people. On that evry first page I read:  'GNUstep is
becoming more and more stable every day and is used in a production environment
by several companies.' ... gnustep is 'more and more stable' - that means, that
it is not stable. I know, that it is true, but we do not want to scare others
here, do we? :-)
- having short News there is a Good Thing
- i would put mirrors in to left bar, to lighten the main page body area

2. Side panel
- Community: wiki should be at the first place, and maybe somehow emphasised.
It is quite active and interesting place.
- Move Experience below Information and above Resources ... the order should be:
Information, Experience, Resources, Community, Developers.

Anyway, I like new color set (maybe links should be a bit darker). It is simple
and readable.

Stefam