Re: Objective-C++?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Objective-C++?
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:49:17 -0700

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 01:21:29 +0200
Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
[...]
> Because lot of projects that are mainly Cocoa wrappers for C++ code
> are waiting to be ported to GNUstep. One of those projects is Camino
> (formerly Chimera) a Cocoa based wrapper for Gecko
> <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/homepage.html>. Then GNUstep
> would finally have a decent web browser. If that is nothing...

I know there are a lot of things, GNUstep may benefit from, if ObjC++
was added to gcc. The kdebindings come to mind...

OTOH, using that as an argument is, dunno, silly, naive, takeyourpick
(no offense, I know you're not)
But take a look at the source of Camino. Even if gcc had ObjC++ support,
you won't be able to compile it on GNUstep -- unless you take painful
steps of removing (probably some essential) parts.
Rendezvous for example. Removing those parts not available under GNUstep
will most likely let the whole thing blow up in your face and if you
have to modify it anyway, you could add a wrapper while you're at it.
So, no, I don't see Camino as a good example why anyone would WANT to
have ObjC++ ...

Yes, I know we had that "discussion" before, so I'll stop ranting now.
(c:

--
Chris