Re: Win32 Installer was: Re: Win32 build guide location?

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Win32 Installer was: Re: Win32 build guide location?
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:16:20 +0200

On 09.04.2003 15:46:31 Tom Koelman wrote:
>"Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf" <Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de>
writes:

>>>It can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/windows/
>>>and is called Install-GNUstep-Development-Environment-0.4.1.exe. It
>>>contains make and base from the 1.6.0 freeze branch and libobjc from
>>>the main branch, taken from CVS at the 24th of Februari 2003.
>>
>> Great stuff, worked like a charm here on a W2k box at work even without
>> admin rights. This is the kind of stuff we need to get the average John
>> Public Windows Developer to try GNUstep: Easy troublefree installation.
>> This makes the first step to GNUstep a lot simpler.
>
>Thanks, and I agree.
>
>> But I wonder why this is so hidden. It should have a prominent place on
>> the downloads page, especially since building GNUstep on Windows is not
>> such an easy task as you can tell from the subsequent requests for a
Win32
>> build guide (I never tried to build it on my own for Win32 because the
>> build process and requirements appeared to complicated for me).
>
>I still consider it experimental beacuse it has some known
>issues. Take a look at the original announcement at
>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.gnustep.devel/1738 to see
>them.

O.k. then let's mark it as a prerelease. But it SHOULD be visible from the
website.

>Known problems:
>- Sometimes sh.exe crashes while building. This is a known problem in
>  MSYS that might go away by using a newer version of MSYS

This should be fixed.

>- No user visible error when building fails for some reason. You have to
>  inspect the log files to see whether stuff went okay

This should be fixed.

>- No gui+back yet

If this is clearly stated on the website and in a ReadMe.txt this should
be o.k. for now. Since the Win32 GUI + BACK are in alpha state now they
would not be very usable anyway. But by releasing the installer we could
possibly reach some developers that are willing and able to put some
amount of work into Win32 GUI + BACK.

>- No automatic starting of gdomap and friends yet

This should be fixed.

>Tom

greetings, Lars