Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online (LarsSonch

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online (LarsSonchocky-Helldorf)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 01:54:27 +0000

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

on 4/11/03 11:49 PM, Ian Jones at ian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

IMHO noone should still be using Netscape 4.*, the CSS support is almost
none existant, it is an antiquated browser.

newer browsers have just excesive system reuirements. Think f as 68k
computer, an older workstation or just my 604@120Mhz mac. Just about any
Gecko derivative is useless and bloated. Netscape 4.8 has come out not
without purpose. The proweser perspective for not-state-of-the-art platforms
is horrible. Even on a 166-pentium laptop mozilla si unusable, Looking at
the statistics of my webserver I see that dilo, chimera2, konqueror are
widspread. Yes even lynx and Links. Users need to survive after all!

A next-step browser is clearly missing. Does some of the old NeXT-step
browsers have open source? So we could port it to gnustep and maybe update
it? Maybe it is a better solution for a low-end browser than trying to wrap
around alien code.

-ric

My point was that the Netscape 4.* series of browsers never managed to fully support the specifications for the technologies that it was surposed to. It was a poor display engine. I agree with Jeff, that sites should display in all browsers, the problem here is that the browser tries to display something and does it badly rather than not display it at all, this isn't the fault of the person writing the pages in most cases, you are constantly having to compromise for the most commonly used browsers and still retain some professional modern look and use of modern technologies. If you tried to make every site work with Netscape 4.* and still look pretty in other browsers then you'd be pulling your hair out for months. I know, I've been there. Some browsers such as lynx don't try and display the fancy stuff, so you end up with a useable site unlike when netscape trys to implement CSS element possitioning and starts overlapping things where they shouldn't. If you have a slow machine and need a browser that renders reasonably then try opera. Personally I stopped testing anything with Netscape 4.* a couple of years ago.

Ian