RTFProducer overhaul

From: Axel 'Mikesch' Katerbau
Subject: RTFProducer overhaul
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:38:20 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

the single most important GNUstep application is TextEdit.app for me. On Mac OS is use it all the time. To make another step to usefulness of GNUstep's TextEdit I did some work on RTFProducer (this is the code that generates RTF output from attributed strings).

What is the right way to contribute the code I wrote?

Based on the work of Daniel Böhringer and Fred Kiefer I did the following:

OVERVIEW:
Works now on attribute deltas instead of 'local-paragraph attributes'.

DONE:
- fixed memory leaks
- optimized RTF output (reduces RTF file size dramatically)
- support for RTFD (text attachments)
- handling of non-ansi/ASCII characters
- tab stops (left, right, centered, decimal) now supported
- paragraph style indentation fixed
- fixed handling of text attributes like 'underline'

STILL MISSING:
- support for some text attributes (e.g. NSKernAttributeName)
- some things that I forgot to mention :-)

CAUTION:
- Not too much tested, but works quite well for me.
- Tested only for left-to-right text and with western characters (maybe someone would like to test it?) - GNUstep's RTF parser is quite incomplete (e.g. doesn't understand non-ascii characters) so the produced RTF output cannot be read by GNUstep without 'loss'.

Tested on Mac OS X by letting Cocoa parse my RTF output (with the help of a simple test application). Also tested on GNUstep with TextEdit.app (with the restrictions mentioned above).

Greetings from Cologne,
 Axel