Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Should the format used by NSArchiver be changed to XML?
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:02:42 -0700 (PDT)

Willem,

--- Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo@xs4all.nl> wrote:
<snip>
> > This change would have the following effects:
> >
> > Advantages:
> > 1) It would allow better portability of archived objects across platforms
> > between different version of GNUstep.
>
> Why?  I think the NSArchiver format is already cross hardware-platform
> (I mean GNUstep on other computers) and I do not think there are
> problems with different versions of GNUstep.

Actually, I corrected myself on this in a later email. :)

> > 2) It would be possible to write a framework on MOSX to allow compatibility
> > between programs written in GNUstep and MOSX.
>
> Yes, but just letting NSArchiver output XML does not work.  Because it will
> output GNUstep base/gui classes and the format is tied to the GNUstep
> internals.  So if you want cross platform you have to map GNUstep
> classes to some platform neutral representation.

I believe that we should examine what is being archived in each case.   I don't
think that anything gnustep "specific" is really being stored.   Only enough
information to recreate the class.

> > Disadvantages:
> > 1) Archives would occupy more space as some of the binary content would
> need to
> > be encoded (probably using base64).
>
> 2) Will be slower.

True, but by how much?  Would the added flexibility be worth the sacrifice?

> > Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this.
>
> I think the cross platform, like sharing archives between MacOSX and
> GNUstep, is a good idea.  But in my opinion it is better to write a
> small framework/subproject that will do this for you and leave
> the current behaviour alone.

That's food for thought.

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---