Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' qu

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Combined Framework(s) (was: Re: GNUstep installation - a 'Newbie' question)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:32:35 -0400

From: "Chris B. Vetter" <chrisv@web4inc.com>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:39:25 -0700
 [snip]
I was wondering if there was a notion to create a combined framework for
playing sound, music, whatever (yes, I'm aware of SndKit, but AFAIK it
only plays SND and AU and porting to GNUstep has just begun) that would
offer a specified API and functionality and would make installation of
twenty different sound libraries, one per application, obsolete.
You know, something similar to 3DKit, but for sound/music.

Just wondering, as I don't know nothing about sound programming, but I
hate to rely on external libraries, that may require a sluagh of
additional dependencies...

 I hate external libraries.
 But if we can't avoid it, we have to make good use of them. :)
 For example, I just notice even for regular expression library,
 FreeBSD use POSIX regex and Linux use GNU regex,
which makes it less cross-platform if the developers don't pay attention to. Use PCRE as official GNUStep regex library could avoid this problem if everyone agree,
 and it is much much fast.
 My choice for multimedia framework would be SDL.
It may be too much for GNUstep because it has its own thread and input system.
 But it offers CD-ROM control, audio and video system.
 It still need audio and video codec for different formats.
 So libogg, libvorbis, etc is inevitable.
I think it won't be a problem until people start asking multimedia applications of GNUstep. :)

 Yen-Ju

--
Chris