Re: RE : Horizontal menus.

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: RE : Horizontal menus.
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:19:37 -0400

This is an idea I was having as well, although rather than make a "locked-in" decision at compile, I was
thinking the "floating" OPENSTEP/GNUstep-style menu  should be modified to allow it to "dock" with
the top of the screen and switch to an Apple-style menubar, which then your could then "tear-off" like any
sub-menu, but perhaps with a modifier+tear.

Not trying to knock your idea or anything--sounds quite interesting in its own
way--but it seems a bit complicated for the end user.  And I'm not sure it's
going to be all that useful.

My impression is that people are very attached to their choice of menu style.
NeXT fans probably won't ever want to dock their menu upstairs.  And those who
slant toward the Apple way of doing things wouldn't want to have to go to the
trouble of docking their menus.

Both groups would probably want to set a system or user default to one or the
other and just leave it that way.  And I suppose themes should provide artwork
for both.