Re: gcc3.3 warnings

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: gcc3.3 warnings
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:05:52 -0700

On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:51:57 +0100
Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

> > On FreeBSD (and possibly others as well) you cannot even use any
> > gcc3x to compile the kernel, if kernel version is < 5.
> Thats due to some of the assembly portions of the kern as far as I
> know - the Linux (I assume he is talking about Linux) issue is
> probably similar. It doesnt make it a bad compiler, nor bad code, just
> that kernels are touchy things and tend, by their nature, to do some
> compiler dependent things in certain place.s

My point exactly. Just because gcc33 doesn't compile precious XYZ
doesn't make it a bad compiler.

> > I also haven't been able to compile MySQL on anything other than
> > gcc2953.
> Hmmm... thats worth knowing. SO what does mysql do on FreeBSD 5 ?

Good question. I haven't tried FBSD5 yet, AFAIK, gcc32 is default and
the kernel compiles. As to MySQL, you'll probably need to install an
older gcc from ports.

> > Yet, I had some problems compiling ObjC related stuff using gcc32x
> > that switching to gcc33 fixed.
> I had those too - though I ended up switching back the other way -
> down to 2.95.3. I am thinking of upgrading my main GNUstep machine to
> 5.1 when it comes out though (a week or so) - is that a bad move ?

FBSD-5.1 just got a Beta2 out yesterday, haven't tried that either. I'm
still running 4.[6,7] on my machines. I'll probably skip to 4.9 (if it
ever comes out) and/or wait for 5.x-RELEASE.

--
Chris