Re: Of applications and documents

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:23:35 -0500

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:56:44PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] abandon or at
> > least supplement the traditional unix filesystem with a database oriented
> > search one (reiserfs may provide a solution here, although I'm not too
> > familiar with the details).
>
> Come on!  I manage my real files by putting them in wallets in files in
> boxes on shelves in rooms... If I want quick searching, I keep an index
> of them.  Are you really telling me you know of a better way?

I think the idea is that if you don't *want* to store things like that you
could choose a different way. For instance, storing things based on what
kind of stuff they contain, how old they are, how important they are to
have, how frequently accessed they are, etc. I don't like storing files
inside of more and more nested containers very well, either in real life or
on computers. There are too many places where a single object could go to
have to choose just *one* place for it, and remember that place. True, at
least in *ix there are symlinks, but those don't always work really great
either. And even if I were to store things in a hierarchical system, it
would be really nice if the indexing function you referred to were an
integral part of that system.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t