of applications for gnustep...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:53:28 +0200

After reading the past postings and the LightHouse petitions, I thought
about this:

We could need a light-weigth browser, with a nice interface.

I think we could make a petition to sen:te for SpiderWoman and port it to
GStep and maybe mock it up. I wrote personally two times and never had an
answer, but maybe a petition would hel. AFAIK binaries were freely
downloadable.

Another idea could be the render-engine of dillo! Dillo is fast and in the
latest version it is almost usable for normal browsing (and the updates
promised for 0.73 would be interesting). Currently it is GTK based,  I did
not have a look at the sourcecode to see if it is C++ or C though.

another idea would be a spreadsheet and some development stuff.

I think for example that on one of the computers at my office we installed
QT just because we needed quanta! Once QT's are there there is less
resistance to install other applications.

So if we have a killer-app then people will install the rest.

Resuscitating the gnustep FTP client would also be interesting

I myself see GUI design quite itneresting: using GStep is ideal to create
custom configuration interfaces for some tasks, but requiring the client to
install gstep, with the problems we already spoke a lot about, can be a
barrier.

I developed / am developing a lightweight webserver. I thought of making a
small interface for it (like BeOS Poor Man has).

-Riccardo