of applications for gnustep...

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:51:22 GMT

The message <E19Ry6L-0006ai-87@monty-python.gnu.org>
from discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org contains these words:

> I installed most of gnome2 just to get the gdm from gnome2, even tho at
> the time i was using kde3 for everything else. now i'm using xfce4 and
> still have most of kde3 just for konqueror which i have grown fond of.
> If there actually was a gnustep "killer app" i doubt installing it's
> requirements would matter much to whoever desires this "killer app" just
> like i installed most of gnome for gdm because gem is seriously that
> cool to me.

As a user, this is very much my experience. I use Galeon, and had to
instal a whole lot of libraries for it; the fact that these were the
Gnome libraries was neither here nor there to me. The same with
Konqueror and the KDE libraries. I'm interested in the applications - I
have no particular loyalty to one set of libraries or another. You
instal an application, you have to instal the libraries it needs.

In the case of GNUstep, I came to it because I wanted to run GWorkspace.
And that was because, after a short hate affair with the Gnome desktop
and a longer war of attrition with the KDE desktop, I tried WindowMaker
and was instantly taken by its light weight, simplicity, cleanness and
ease of configuration. So I needed a file manager in keeping with it. In
other words, I'm using GNUstep because I liked Window Maker.

Perhaps, as (essentially) a set of libraries, GNUstep's "market" is
application developers, not users. It needs to be a fantastic
development tool (though I'm not qualified to enter into discussion of
what that might mean), for building great applications. Then maybe the
"killer app" will arrive of its own accord.

--

    Richard Stonehouse