Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:55:36 +0100

On 2003-06-16 21:41:56 +0000 MJ Ray <markj+0111@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

Eric Christopherson <rakko@charter.net> wrote:
I never noticed them until they were pointed out on the list. But I don't
see how that is an argument against including them. [...]

If it's a good feature, it should be made obvious.  Hiding it in a
menu that only appears in certain limited situations doesn't seem very
obvious or consistent to me.  If it's good, make it available anotherh

Well, I think something could be mentioned : this addition is a RECENT
thing on GWorkspace. My local copy wasn't able to do it, and it wasn't
too old (perhaps a month). Plus I thought pop-up menus weren't available
in GNUstep in general, so I didn't dare to right-click on icons.

way.  If it's not a good feature, junk it.  Each feature should be
accessible once and once only, ideally.  (Yes, I class keys as a way to
access the menu... the way the menu flashes when you use them suggests
that someone else thought that, I think.)

... anyway I agree, the function of a pop-up menu should be available in the
standard menu as well, and not be only accessible with a pop-up menu.

The pop-up menu should be viewed as a shortcut to some (already available
elsewhere) functions. For example, in the standard menu, things are often
grouped by function; a pop-up menu for a particular object could perhaps
show you the different functions *for* that particular object (thus, grouping
"by" object rather than function).
With that organisation, everything is always available somewhere in the
standard menu, but related functions of the clicked element are shown
in the pop-up menu.

--
Nicolas Roard