Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:36:05 +0300

On 2003-06-19 12:57:54 +0300 Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk> wrote:

Are you saying that you want items on the pop-up menu that are not on the
global menu?  That would be Evil, Bad and Wrong, as well as inconsistent.

Doesnt OSX do this though ? The contextual menus on the dock I just tried
give me a "show in finder" which I cant find on any other menu.

Conmtentual menus may be bad - but in a windows world users actually *expect*
them oddly enough. Right click and look for "properties" is second nature
to most windows people I know. Dont underestimate the importnace of
familiarity. We all know that the modern keyboard layout is suboptimal after
all, but its one mostr people know and comming up with better solutions hasnt
been met with mass market success oddly enough.

I want only to say that I've added these very bad things because the users
wanted them. Anyway, as I usually do before writing, I've looked in the
documentation where, in NSView, you can find:

"
- (NSMenu *)menuForEvent:(NSEvent *)theEvent
Overridden by subclasses to return a context-sensitive pop-up menu for the
mouse-down event theEvent. The receiver can use information in the mouse event,
such as its location over a particular element of the receiver, to determine
what kind of menu to return. For example, a text object might display a
text-editing menu when the cursor lies over text and a menu for changing
graphics attributes when the cursor lies over an embedded image.
"

So, I've considered natural to add them.