Re: First Impressions of GNUStep

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: First Impressions of GNUStep
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:14:39 -0500

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 05:31:15PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Eric Christopherson <rakko@charter.net> wrote:
> > On a related note, app menus also seem to start out positioned under KDE's
> > toplevel menu bar, which gives me no way to move them. So it'd be nice if
> > those also respected EWMH struts.
>
> Because app menus remember their position between executions, I don't see
> how all of them could get clear of the strut: the user might have
> deliberately placed them in the strut space.

The user really shouldn't be able to position something so that it is
impossible to move it back. For me the solution would be:
a) While dragging an appmenu, do not allow the drag to go outside of the
'normal' screen area, into the strut. Period.
b) When starting an application, check for struts (remember that they might
be different from when the application was last run). Any app menu
positioned in the struts should be moved to the nearest location which is
valid, i.e. is not in a strut.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t