Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:22:32 +0100

On 2003-06-23 21:50:52 +0000 Eric Christopherson <rakko@charter.net> wrote:

On 2003-06-22 23:45:55 +0000 Enrico Sersale <enrico@dtedu.net> wrote:
Two question: in the screenshot there is a file viewer that uses a browser >with icons in the
matrix cells; is it my browser with "styleMask |= >GWIconCellsMask" or something
else? And I see that you have icons of .jpg >files that show a preview of the image. How do you
get this?

Well that was a small hack on NSApplication, to return a cached thumbnail
(same principle as .xvpics) instead of the standard icon if it existed. I'm not
sure it was better to modify NSApplication instead of only GWorkspace icon
view...
there was an advantage though, the image was shown everywhere (i.e, dnd the
image on the panel show the image on the panel, which is quite cool).
The idea was to have a service to generate thoses cached thumbnails, or perhaps
modifying GWorkspace to do that automatically, but I didn't had the time...
so... :-)

Cool stuff! What about the icons in browser view? Did you hack that as well?

Well no, the interesst off that approach is that it was automatic, as the GW's
browser
view call iconForFile of NSWorkspace (hm ? toh ! please
s/NSApplication/NSWorkspace in my previous mail). As my panel just call
iconForFile too, a modification of NSWorkspace
bring the thumbnail for every application.

--
Nicolas Roard