Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:23:00 +0200

On 2003-06-27 16:17:05 +0200 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Second, this is worse I think, you have the problem that there may be
more than one app being able to handle those files. Which of them were
supposed to provide the thumbnail, then?

The first one that utilizes the file unless if the file have changed.
This is all covered in the freedesktop.org thumbnail specs, if this is
what we are going to use.

Just read the specs, and it makes perfect sense to me. In particular the part about an app being responsible for creating the thumbnails for its own files. Thus, I don't know whether it's a good idea if Enrice gets busys writing his 'thumbnailer'. How should this service know, how to create a thumbnail for a certain file? It might be OK for pics, but even here I'd consider it better to have the imaging app create the thumbs.

Cheers,

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net