Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:36:01 -0600

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 12:21 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03 um 19:21 Uhr schrieb David Ayers:

First we need to differentiate between -base and -gui. I.e. you're suggesting to replace gnustep/base with GNUstepBaseAdditions and gnustep/gui with GNUstepGuiAdditions, everywhere.

Not exactly.

My idea is to split up header locations into more than two logical parts: -base, -gui, Additions. Additions (-baseadd btw.) as a separate part as it can be used separately. The Header structure for a GNUstep installation could be:

$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/base/
$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/gui/
$GNUSTEP/include/GNUstepAdditions/

Maybe there are other parts which make sense to be separated.

The point is, you need a plain header directory (without a "/") for all parts of GNUstep which can ( / are intended to) be used as a separate framework.

I don't really like the idea. The files are all part of the base library, not additions to it. Practically, we're only suppling the base-additions library for macosx. Anyway, if you are going to install it as a framework, then the headers need to be put in a different place anyway. And that can be handled after-the-fact, when we install them.