Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:17:34 -0600

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 08:13 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:
I'm not sure how much a simplification would be to rename

 *-gnu-gnu     into *-gnu
 *-apple-apple into *-apple
 *-fd-nil      into *-fd

we loose some future flexibility (not clear if we'll need it though), I'm
not sure how much we gain.  Maybe it would be easier to understand for
users. I suppose someone might run X Windows on Apple, and be interested
in using apple-apple-gnu, maybe we don't want to rule out that
possibility.

But I'm definitely for keeping all the currently realistical and available possibilities, which means not shrinking it down to just gnu / apple / fd.

I'd rather simplify things as much as possible (mostly reducing the number of -I's), but I feel we should at least address the issue of multiple library combos. I only see two practical reasons why this would be necessary:

1) shared or networked disks that contains the GNUstep root directory
2) A developer who wants to develop and test their app for multiple combos.

Base/Foundation and GUI/AppKit are always installed in the System directory which isn't really meant to be shared, so perhaps (1) isn't a valid option. I think option (2) is useful. The reality now, though, is that GNUstep is already biased somewhat against developers - for instance the --enable-multi-platform option in GNUstep make is off by default, so you can't even install for multiple targets much less multiple combos without changing this. That's not bad, but it is confusing/ambiguous. Perhaps we should make this separation between User and Developer even more clear by consolidating these options:

--enable-multi-platform
--(dis)able-flattened

into something like:

--enable-developer (Actually I like --enable-multi-platform as a more encompassing option).

When this is enabled, you get mutli-platform/multi-combo support, plus GNUstep handles the case of the Foundation and AppKit headers installed in Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu (or whatever).