apple-apple-gnu

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: apple-apple-gnu
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:33:15 -0700

I'm running OSX and X11 and I'd like to be able to use some GNUstep applications on my computer. I'd be very interested in being able to use the gnustep-baseadd library/framework AND the gnustep-gui libraries (framework?) on top of apple's Foundation and AppKit. iThink that the base library needs to be more clearly divided between the Foundation functions and the Additions, last time i tried to compile it I had to compile the -base lib and then use an object file from that to build the -baseadd lib because of a misplaced (IMHO) symbol. Also, iThink that the gnustep-gui project should be split into similar AppKit lib and an Additions lib (-gui and -guiadd?) so that I can use apple-apple-apple with the -{base|gui}add libs and use GNUstep apps (possible? ever?).

I would be happy to provide *some* access to my OSX box to the core developers if they feel the need to build on an apple box. iThink that i could also tar up the headers for Foundation and AppKit and distribute them. (I'm going to check on the legality of this before I do, I believe that its the *implementation* that's copyright, not the headers... I hope) either way, I have a machine to test on. I'm not too good with actual coding (I'm still learning) so I don't know how much help I would be on that front.

JP

--
God is dead, now the war shall never end.